Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Appt with Dr. Kutteh

I went to Memphis yesterday to see Dr. Kutteh. I apologize for the late update but this was too long to text to some of you and we didn't get home until midnight last night and then Mom didn't leave until 2:00 today!!!

Dr. Kutteh is very optimistic about my chances of carrying to term. He said that my MTHFR (the first clotting disorder they found) is worse than we thought. He said that when I walked into his office yesterday that I had a 20% chance of carrying a baby to term. He gave me some medication and said if I take it I will have a 75% chance of carrying to term - which is the same chance as any healthy 30 year old woman. So if I take my medicine - I will be NORMAL!!!

Now for the medicine. I am to continue taking my Primacare One (pre-natal vitamin), baby aspirin, and Synthroid (thyroid medicine) everyday but I am to add 1 Folgard Rx pill a day. This has 2.2 mg of Folic Acid, B6 and B12. When I get pregnant - I am to continue the Primacare One and aspirin but increase synthroid and increase the Folgard to 2 pills a day. I am also to use heparin twice a day instead of Lovenox once per day. Dr. Kutteh himself has been conducting research on this.

He said that as soon as my next cycle starts - in about a month - I can start trying again.

He said had I carried my previous 4 pregnancies to term the babies would have died after birth from neural tube defects.

6 comments:

Tomekia Porter said...

I am glad you got good news!

Kristi said...

Congratulations on the good news.

I ran across your site a few months ago doing research and I've been following since.

I suffered a miscarriage earlier this year and am having difficulty having a cycle, much less conceiving. I admire your strength to survive all you have in the last four years.

I hope it doesn't me that long, but you have definitely given me perspective and taught me patience.

Best of luck to you.

-Kristi

Heather said...

I'm glad you're getting the answers you need to help you be successful. Good luck!

Tigerlilly said...

I'm glad that you'll be able to start trying soon :)
I'm also glad that you're Fort Collins, Lol. I kept wondering "Who the heck do I know in COLORADO?!".
Thank you for your support *hugs*

cmoore said...

I just found your blog by typing in Dr Kutteh and MTHFR. I am going to see Dr. Kutteh also! I have only seen him once and that was my first visit. I go back May 6th to see where we go from here. Erica, Dr. Kutteh's nurse, has been excellent. I am taking Folcaps and prenatal vitamins for my MTHFR. I hope things are working out for you. How long were you in your medicine before you started trying to concieve again?

Anonymous said...

I have been seeing Dr. Kutteh for almost two years and during that time had three miscarriages and a uterus correction surgery. We thought the first miscarriage was a fluke but after the second they did additional testing and found that I have double copy (homozygous) of the MTHFR gene and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (increased risk of blood clots). I was placed on baby aspirin and 2.2 mg of folic acid and was told when I get pregnant again, I would have to take daily Lovenox or heparin shots. After hearing the news, I had to take time out to let the news settle before trying again. Well, a year later, we tried and became pregnant but miscarried again. They think I ovulate too late in my cycle so we are going to try clomid. The good news out of this, is the Lovenox shots. I had a lot of anxiety about those shots and while pregnant took them for a week. My anxiety about the shots went away. I know when the time is right, we will successful conceive and sustain a pregnancy and will have a healthy baby. Dr. Kutteh and his nurses are wonderful and Ihave a lot of confidence in them.